In general, to get a passport in India it will take around two months time. There is a scheme for the people who want the passport immediately; this is known as Tatkal Passport. In tatkal scheme the passport will be issued within fifteen days from the date of submission of the application.
The applicant who desires to obtain the tatkal passport should submit a verification certificate and an affidavit along with the tatkal passport fee. Obtaining a passport under tatkal scheme is also called as out-of-turn issue of passport. For this out-of-turn issue of passport no need to submit any proof of urgency. For tatkal passport the application form should be filled and submitted along with the required documents. Apart from regular documents the applicant must submit a notary for tatkal and an urgency letter for tatkal.
The tatkal fee is in addition to the applicable passport fee. The fee is payable either in DD (demand draft) in the name of passport officer or by cash. The additional fee for tatkal passport is as follows,Fresh Passport
- Additional Fee for tatkal passport within 1-7 days from application date is Rs. 1,500/-
- Additional Fee for tatkal passport within 8-14 days from application date is Rs. 1,000/
Replacement of Passport
- Additional Fee for tatkal duplicate passport within 1-7 days from application date is Rs. 2,500/-
- Additional Fee for tatkal duplicate passport within 8-14 days from application date is Rs. 1,500/
- Additional Fee for tatkal passport reissue within 3 days from application date is Rs. 1,500/-
Tatkal passport is not available for the applicants, who have not renewed their passport for more than six months after the expiry of validity.