IGNOU or Indira Gandhi National Open University with its Open and Distance Learning (ODL) mode has considerably helped in the progress of higher education in the country. IGNOU course have student centered approach with a policy of simplicity and flexibility in entry qualifications and time duration for a doing a course and the place of study. IGNOU offers degree programmes in doctorate, masters, and bachelors, diplomas for post-graduate and under-graduate studies, and certificates.
IGNOU also makes education available in areas as consumer protection, disaster management, environment, human rights, tourism, women empowerment and child development, participatory forest management, participatory planning, resettlement and rehabilitation, teacher education, food and nutrition, continuing medical and health education, HIV/AIDs, laboratory techniques, and online learning.
IGNOU has 21 Schools of Study (http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/school) through which it has developed its academic programmes with very dedicated faculty that is trained in distance education methodology and is responsible for planning, designing, developing and delivering academic programmes. A few of the 21 Schools are listed below.
- 1 School of Agriculture (SOA):
- 2 Distance programmes:
- 3 Doctoral Degree:
- 4 PG and Advance Diploma:
- 5 PG and Advance Certificate:
- 6 Diploma:
- 7 Certificate:
- 8 Awareness Programme:
- 9 School of Agriclture online programmes:
- 10 School of Education (SOE) distance programmes:
School of Agriculture (SOA):
Doctor of Philosophy in Dairy Science and Technology (PhDDR):
Minimum Duration: 2 Years Maximum Duration: 5 Years Course Fee: Rs. 7,000 Minimum Age: No bar Maximum Age: No bar Eligibility: Master Degree in Dairy Science (Dairy Technology, Dairy Chemistry, Dairy Microbiology, Dairy Engineering), Food Science/ Food Technology, MVSc (Animal Products Technology/ Dairy Science), MSc Agriculture (Dairy Science/ Dairy Technology)
Doctor of Philosophy in Agriculture Extension (PhD (AgE):
Minimum Duration: 2 Years Maximum Duration: 5 Years Course Fee: Rs. 14,000 Minimum Age: No bar Maximum Age: No bar Eligibility:
- MSc(Agriculture)with 55 percent marks (50 percent for SC/ST candidates) in Agriculture Extension, Extension Education, Home Science Extension/ Dairy Extension/ Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension, etc.
- Masters degree in any branch of Agricultural Sciences or allied fields (with bridge course)
PG and Advance Diploma:
Post-Graduate Diploma In Plantation Management (PGDPM):
Minimum Duration: 1 Year Maximum Duration: 4 Years Course Fee: Rs. 4,800 Minimum Age: No bar Maximum Age: No bar Eligibility: Graduation in any discipline
Post-Graduate Diploma in Food Safety and Quality Management (PGDFSQM):
Minimum Duration: 1 Year Maximum Duration: 4 Years Course Fee: Rs. 10,800 Minimum Age: No bar Maximum Age: No bar Eligibility:
- Science Graduates with Chemistry/ Bio-chemistry or Microbiology as one of the subjects.
- Degree in allied sciences like Agriculture, Food Science and Technology etc.
- Science graduates in disciplines like Geography, Statistics with Physics & Maths, Art Subjects and Medical Lab technology and with minimum three years experience in food processing and/or quality control (minimum 1 year experience).
- Art Graduates with diploma in Food Science disciplines viz. Fruits and vegetables, dairy technology, meat technology etc. with minimum 5 years experience in Food Processing/Food Quality Control (2 years experience in quality control).
- BA/B Com Graduates with minimum 7 years experience or holding senior position in Govt/Semi Govt Units involved in Food Quality Control.
PG and Advance Certificate:
Post-Graduate Certificate in Agriculture Policy (PGCAP):
Minimum Duration: 6 Months Maximum Duration: 2 Years Course Fee: Rs. 2,400 Minimum Age: No bar Maximum Age: No bar Eligibility:Graduation in any discipline
- Diploma in Value-added Products from Cereals, Pulses and Oilseeds (DPVCPO)
- Diploma in Dairy Technology (DDT)
- Diploma in Value Added Products from Fruits and Vegetables (DVAPFV)
- Diploma in Fish Products Technology (DFPT)
- Diploma in Watershed Management (DWM)
- Diploma in Meat Technology (DMT)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Education Technology (PGDET)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in School Leadership and Management (PGDSLM)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Higher Education (PGDHE)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Distance Education (PGDDE)
- Certificate in Sericulture (CIS)
- Certificate in Water Harvesting and Management (CWHM)
- Certificate in Poultry Farming (CPF)
- Certificate in Bee Keeping (CIB)
- Certificate in Organic Farming (COF)
- Training Programme on Betel Vine for farmers (Two Weeks) (TPBV)
- Awareness Programme on Value Added Products from Fruits and Vegetables (APVPFV)
- Awareness Programme on Dairy Farming for Rural Farmers (APDF)
School of Agriclture online programmes:
School of Education (SOE) distance programmes:
There are many other programmes offered by IGNOU Check website: http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/school http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/school/sofl/programmes http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/school/soh/programmes http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/school/sol/programmes http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/school/sos/programmes
For knowing the Institutes/Centres/Cells/Units: http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/icc Fort infrmation about the reginal centres: http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/regional/about And Regional Centre's websites http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/regional/website To know about the Stugy Centers http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/studycentre/centre
Log on to the IGNOU The People's University website for the detailed information http://www.ignou.ac.in/